Shipping & Returns

General Shipping Info

Most orders ship the next business day but all orders should ship within 3-5 business days. Orders are shipped from Spring Hill, Tennessee. Different types of shipping will arrive based on the speed of the shipping service PLUS 1 to 3 business days processing before the order ships.

ALL RUSH ORDERS PLACED AFTER NOON (CST) WILL BE SHIPPED THE FOLLOWING BUSINESS DAY. (Our shipping center will be operating on a limited basis from March 20-25, 2017 for spring break.   Rush order options will be suspended during this tine but will resume on March 27, 2017.)

We reserve the right to refuse service for any reason.

Shipping time to 48 Connected States (AK, HI & International take longer)
• USPS 1st Class - 1 to 5 business days Plus 1-3 business days for processing
• USPS Priority Mail - 1 to 3 business days Plus 1-3 business days for processing
• FedEx Ground - 1 to 5 business days Plus 1-3 business days for processing
• FedEx 2-Day - 2 business days Plus 1 business day for processing
• FedEx Overnight - next business day  Plus 1 business day for processing

• For Saturday Delivery with FedEx Overnight or last minute next day orders, please call our office at 615-302-8650.

International Orders
At this time, only orders from select countries can be done on our website store. If you live beyond those areas, please e-mail for assistance.

Shipping Outside of the United States
NOTE: Times are average estimates and actual times may vary. In some cases, additional duties, taxes or fees may be charged upon delivery.
• USPS International 1st Class - 3 to 6 weeks 
• USPS International Priority Mail - 2 to 3 weeks
• USPS International Priority Mail Express - 1 to 2 weeks
• FedEx International Ground (Canada Only) - 2 to 4 weeks 
• FedEx International Economy - 2-8 business days (Plus 1 business day for processing in some cases)
• FedEx International Priority - 1-5 business days (Plus 1 business day for processing in some cases)

CD, DVD, & Download Return Policy
Unfortunately at this time we do not offer returns, exchanges or refunds on CD & DVD products. 
If a CD or DVD is defective, please e-mail describing the problem you are experiencing.

Curriculum Return Policy
In order to offer our products at their current prices, we do not accept returns on T-shirts, CD 20-Packs, Name Tag 20-packs, Temporary Tattoo 100-packs, or seasonal curriculum (Christmas and Easter).

We will accept returns on VBS Kits under the guidelines below:

• Returns must be pre-authorized and only shipped to our Returns address. Packages sent to any other location may not receive a refund.

VBS kits must be returned within 30 days of arrival.

We will refund 90% of the actual price paid for the item. The remaining 10% will be a restocking fee.

No shipping cost will be refunded.

• To ask questions or request a return authorization form (with returns shipping address), please contact us at:

Thank You for choosing Go Fish Resources!